Sunday 8 January 2012

Organization

I love to be organized but it's a constant struggle for me and I expect this will be my greatest challenge as a teacher librarian. When everything has its place based on a predictable system and I've actually managed to follow that system I feel empowered and in control. The mental stress of disorganization creates an opposite overwhelmed feeling with which I struggle frequently as my messes pile up at home and at school. This makes me feel like an imposter in LIBE 465. Ever the optimist, for now I'll try to believe that this course is precisely what I need to take the next step toward organizational nirvana.

1 comment:

  1. Hi. Being a fellow student in LIBE 465 this is my first time engaging in blogging. So I randomly picked your site to visit and hope to learn how to navigate and communicate with this process.
    I appreciate your comments/dilemna about using/requiring print and non-print as sources and agree that finding quality and being able to evaluate for that quality is indeed where the focus should be for our students. However, it is similiar to trying to fly the plane while you are still building it.... When students are doing research on a topic... is it then ( in context) it is best to teach about evaluating various sources - or does this result in a sense of frustration - when all the student wants to do is find good information about the subject at hand and get on with the assignment. I think sometimes having a pre-assignment of looking at various sources on a particular topic and discussing with a group of students their thoughts about the varying quality and ways they use to evaluate for reliable information may prove to be more beneficial in the long run when it comes to developing life long informational literacy skills. Thoughts? Spending a little time up front generally then narrowing it to a curriculum specific outcome has its benefits Can we assume it has been taught before in earlier grades - how can we best judge what assistance in this is needed? So many questions... :)

    ReplyDelete